上海419论坛,上海龙凤419,爱上海 - Powered by Portia Eldi!

Tennis stars want names of match-fixers

first_imgMELBOURNE, Australia (AP):Around the world, players, commentators, and fans echoed the call of Roger Federer, who wants to know names of those suspected of match-fixing in a growing scandal that one ex-pro described as a “major wake-up call for the world of tennis”.Many called for clarity, saying that the public and players have a right to know who is suspected of cheating. Others warned that the match-fixing scandal has the potential to damage the reputation of tennis, just like doping or corruption scandals have hurt professional cycling, athletics, baseball, and soccer.Martina Navratilova, the 18-time Grand Slam champion, tweeted: “We need facts, not suppositions.”The scandal broke on Monday when the BBC and BuzzFeed News published reports – timed for the start of the Australian Open – alleging that tennis authorities have ignored widespread evidence of match-fixing involving 16 tennis players who have ranked in the top 50 over the past decade.BuzzFeed titled its story ‘The Tennis Racket’ and said that half of those 16, including a Grand Slam winner, were at this year’s Australian Open.”This really casts a very dark shadow on our sport right now,” Mary Jo Fernandez said on ESPN as part of a panel discussion yesterday on the controversy.”Hopefully, because the world is watching, something will be done about it. We need to flag who these players were,” said Fernandez, a three-time Grand Slam finalist, winner of two Grand Slam women’s doubles titles and two Olympic gold medals.Federer was among the first to demand more information: “I would love to hear names,” the Swiss star said on Monday at a post-match news conference. Referring specifically to the claim about a former Grand Slam winner, he asked, “Was it the player? Was it the support team? Who was it? Was it before? Was it a doubles player, a singles player? Which Slam? It’s so all over the place. It’s nonsense to answer something that is pure speculation.”His comments have resonated with those who say that not knowing leads to dangerous speculation.”This is turning into a witch hunt,” said Patrick McEnroe, a former French Open doubles champion and captain of the US Davis Cup team who was in Melbourne commentating.No. 1-ranked Novak Djokovic was put on the spot yesterday at a post-match news conference, where a reporter told him that an Italian newspaper had just reported that he “wanted to lose” a match in Paris in 2007.”You can pick any match that you like that the top player lost and just create a story out of it,” Djokovic said.”This is now the main story in tennis, in the sports world. There’s going to be a lot of allegations,” he said, calling it “just speculation” and saying “it is not true”.GAMBLEDONHEAVILYUntil now, the average fan may have had little idea that tennis is one of the most gambled on sports in the world, with bookmakers actively taking bets mid-match. Between matches at the Australian Open, tennis experts have explained the mechanics of match-fixing, spelling out that it doesn’t necessarily mean throwing an entire match but could involve taking money just to double-fault or lose a set.”We in the tennis world have all heard the stories about this going on at the low levels. No one knew it was happening at the Grand Slams,” McEnroe said. “Where there’s smoke, there’s fire. This is a major, major wake-up call for the world of tennis.”The BBC and BuzzFeed report prompted an immediate news conference by tennis’ governing bodies on Monday in Melbourne Park, where representatives denied allegations that any evidence about match-fixing had been suppressed. Officials noted that the sport’s anti-corruption division, the Tennis Integrity Unit, has pursued 18 disciplinary cases that resulted in life bans from the sport for five players and one official. It was set up in 2008 after a surge of suspicious betting activity in tennis.last_img read more

Pique didn’t deliberately get himself booked against Arsenal, insists Barca boss

first_img Gerard Pique fouls Danny Welbeck during Barcelona’s Champions League victory over Arsenal 1 Luis Enrique has denied suggestions Gerard Pique purposefully got himself booked during Barcelona’s victory over Arsenal on Tuesday night.With Barca leading 2-0 in the first leg of their last-16 Champions League tie at the Emirates, Pique held a brief discussion with his manager on the touchline.Just a minute later, the defender produced a rash challenge on Danny Welbeck to receive a yellow card.That rules Pique out of the return fixture with Arsenal but crucially means his disciplinary slate will be wiped clean at the quarter-final stage.Southampton boss and former Barca star Ronald Koeman, watching the game as a TV pundit, claimed after the match it was a deliberate ploy.“For sure he took it. It’s not a tackle that you do at 2-0 up,” said the Dutchman.But Enrique played down claims of a conspiracy.“It wasn’t deliberate,” said the Barca boss. “Gerard Pique, if you saw the fault (foul), he had to do it, it wasn’t deliberate at all.”Barcelona were well contained by Arsenal in the first half but their class shone through in the end, with two Lionel Messi goals in the last 20 minutes securing a 2-0 win.“Everyone who knows about football knows you need a first half like this in order to have a second like the one we had,” said Enrique. “Arsenal are very good at helping each other collectively and we needed a lot of possession of the ball.“My players individually performed perfectly. But there is nothing decided yet, we will have to perform very well in the (second leg).”last_img read more

Man pleads guilty to using hammer during burglary at Burt home

first_imgA man has pleaded guilty to a burglary in Burt during which a hammer was produced.The accused, 24-year-old Adam Doherty, pleaded guilty to a number of charges when he appeared at Letterkenny Circuit Court. Doherty, of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty to burglary on May 16th last year at Lower Moness, Burt.Doherty also pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to Linda McCafferty during the incident.Other charges of criminal damage to two cars belonging to Ms McCafferty as well as damage to an exterior door were also put to Doherty. He also pleaded guilty to these.Doherty indicated through his barrister Mr Peter Nolan, instructed by solicitor Rory O’Brien, that he did not want a probation report undertaken.Mr Nolan added that his client wanted the matter dealt with as quickly as possible.The court was told that a victim impact statement would have to be sought from the injured party.Judge John Aylmer adjourned the case until next Tuesday.Man pleads guilty to using hammer during burglary at Burt home was last modified: January 30th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Adam DohertyburglarydonegalHAMMERInishowenlast_img read more

Leeds United v Fulham line-ups: Whites switch formation, four changes for Leeds

first_imgChris Baird makes his first start of his second spell at Fulham in one of two changes to the line-up to face Leeds at Elland Road.The on-loan Derby man replaces Alex Kacaniklic while Michael Madl, who came off the bench to score his first goal for the Whites in the win over Charlton on Saturday, comes in for Scott Parker.It means Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic reverts to a 3-5-2 formation, with Ryan Fredericks and Luke Garbutt at wing-backFormer Leeds striker Matt Smith is on the bench.Leeds make four changes, two of them coming at the back.Lewie Coyle comes in at right-back ahead of Scott Wootton, while Liam Cooper is fit to start at centre-back in place of the suspended Giuseppe Bellusci.Liam Bridcutt and former Brentford midfielder Stuart Dallas drop to the bench, with Alex Mowatt and ex-Bees loanee Tom Adeyemi selected instead.Fulham: Lonergan; Madl, Burn, Amorebieta; Fredericks, Cairney, O’Hara, Baird, Garbutt; Dembele, McCormack.Subs: Lewis, Richards, Stearman, Hyndman, Tunnicliffe, Kacaniklic, Smith.Leeds: Silvestri; Coyle, Bamba, Cooper, Taylor; Adeyemi, Diagouraga; Cook, Mowatt, Doukara; Antenucci.Subs: Peacock-Farrell, Wootton, Berardi, Murphy, Dallas, Botaka, Erwin.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Wyandot Agronomy Day Jan. 29

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Jason Hartschuh, CCA, Ohio State University ExtensionWyandot Agronomy day will be held on Jan. 29 from 9:00 to 3:30 at the Sycamore Community Center, 3498 St Rt 103, Sycamore Ohio 44882. Featured Presentations will include Dr. Pierce Paul presenting on Corn and Wheat Disease and Dr. Aaron Wilson on Todays Weather and Climate. Other presentations by local educators will cover all pesticide categories and fertilizer for recertification credits. The program includes lunch and will cost $50 including recertification credits if you wish to attend and do not need recertification credits the program will only cost $20. For more information and to register see the flier or call 419-562-8731Topics include:•Creating a herbicide program to match your farms needs•Managing disease in forage crops•Applying Nutrient management BMPS on your farm.last_img read more

Uttar Pradesh plants 220 million trees in one day

first_imgMore than a million Indians planted 220 million trees on August 9, 2019 in Uttar Pradesh. It was part of a massive effort to tackle climate change and improve the environment.Students, lawmakers, officials and others planted dozens of species of saplings along roads, rail tracks and in forest lands.The trees include 16 fruit species, and will increase forest cover in the state.”We set the target of 220 million because Uttar Pradesh is home to 220 million people,” Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Adityanath said.last_img