Subscribe Home of the Week: Unique Pasadena Home Located on Madeline Drive, Pasadena <span data-mce-type=”bookmark” style=”display: inline-block; width: 0px; overflow: hidden; line-height: 0;” class=”mce_SELRES_start”>?</span>Click on flyer to enlargeThe threat of approaching flames to the foothill communities of Pasadena from the Bobcat Fire in the Angeles National Forest has subsided, and the county has seen significant strides in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic in recent weeks.Now, officials are urging the public to remain mindful of another looming threat to Southern California: Earthquakes.The third Thursday of October each year marks California’s statewide earthquake drill known as the Great Shakeout. This year, it will fall on Oct. 15.For many in Pasadena, the point was driven home earlier this month when a 4.5-magnitude earthquake epicentered deep underground along the Whittier Fault near South El Monte shook the region on Sept. 18, but resulted in no reported damage or injuries.Margaret Vinci was ready to go when she felt the shaking. As she often advises others, she had equipment including a flashlight, sturdy shoes and a hardhat at the ready beneath her bed.The likelihood of broken glass strewn around in the wake of an earthquake is high, so “Put on those items first before you jump out of bed,” she said.Following the Northridge Earthquake of 1994, “The number one injury was cut feet. Second: cut hands,” Vinci said.Vinci lives and breathes earthquakes. She serves as manager of the Office of Earthquake Programs at Caltech and is a regional ShakerAlert coordinator, a volunteer with the Pasadena Fire Department’s Community Emergency Response Team, or CERT, and a coordinator of Pasadena’ “Map Your Neighborhood” emergency response program. She was part of the original committee that formed the Great ShakeOut in 2008.While people may react differently to various forms of disaster, such as evacuating from a fire or sheltering in place following an earthquake, “With any disaster, preparedness is the same,” Vinci said. “The more prepared you are, the better your survivability,”In addition to shoes and a flashlight near the bed, Vinici said people should also have additional supply kits at the ready. A “go bag” should contain all the needed supplies for three days. And multiple bags should be made, so they can be kept in the home, in the car and in the workplace, in case a disaster occurs while away from home. A larger disaster kit should contain “Anything needed to camp for three to four weeks,” Vinci said.“Water is key. One gallon per person per day, for seven to 10 days, if not longer,” according to Vinci.The kit should also include “things that you use every day: Hygiene items, deodorant, makeup…”It’s also wise to include some specialized equipment, such as a whistle to signal for help, or a crowbar to help free people trapped by debris.Pets will need food, toys, and water as well, she said. Booties are also a good idea to prevent animals from stepping on broken glass.People should take time to make a plan to react to an earthquake in each room of their homes, paying attention to where hazards are.Upon feeling an earthquake or receiving an electronic earthquake early warning, people should immediately duck, cover and hold on tight, and not try to wait to see how intense the shaking will get, she said.“Drop before the shaking throws you off your feet. Get under something, hold onto whatever you’re under so it doesn’t walk away from you,” Vinci said. If there is nothing to hide beneath, she suggests getting near an interior wall.By the time alerts are sent out, “You only have seconds. The earthquake has started,” Vinci said. The system is designed to issue alerts to areas where a 4.5-magntitude or greater earthquake has been detected and expected shaking intensity reaches a predetermined limit. Those closest to the epicenter receive little or no warning, while those farther out may get an alert several seconds before shaking is felt, Vinci explained.Those who are in bed when an earthquake strikes should remain there and cover their heads with pillows and blankets, she said.“Beware of aftershocks. Don’t be near glass, don’t be near chimneys, don’t go outside until it’s safe,” she advised. Even in the wake of an earthquake, “Be cognizant of social distancing.”Pasadena takes part in the “Map Your Neighborhood” program, which is designed to help neighbors look out for one another in the wake of a disaster.Participants take part in a 90-minute program, which includes a video presentation and a brochure. The idea is to link neighborhoods of 18 to 22 households so that neighbors can check on each one within an hour of an earthquake or other disaster.Neighbors are encouraged to get to know each other and learn how many people live in each home, whether children or people with special needs live inside, whether there are animals, and so forth. With that knowledge, people can check on vulnerable neighbors in the wake of a disaster without delay.Neighbors also create a map of their neighborhood, taking note of where each home’s gas and water shutoffs are located under the program, Vinci said.Community members are also able to identify what assets exist in their neighborhood. From plumbers to medical professionals, when coping with a tragedy, “everybody has an asset,” Vinci said.The ongoing pandemic has made communicating the importance of earthquake preparedness extra challenging this year, according to Vinci.“It is difficult, trying to get these messages out in a world where we have to do social distancing,” she said.The city’s CERT team has temporarily halted training new members amid the pandemic. Officials were still determining whether they would adopt an online training program, or wait until the pandemic passes to resume training CERT members.Those unable to take part at 10:15 a.m. on Oct. 15 are urged to practice the drill on a different time or day, at their convenience, Vinci said.“You can ShakeOut when and where you want, whether that’s at home, work, school, or even through a video conference,” ShakeOut organizers said in a written statement. “We can and should still practice how to be safe when the earth shakes, especially when your situation changes.”Those taking part are encouraged to register for the California Shakeout online at shakeout.org/california, where additional information is also available.More information on Pasadena’s Map Your Neighborhood program is available online at cityofpasadena.net/fire/community-programs/map-your-neighborhood. Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m. Business News EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT | FOOD & DRINK | THE ARTS | REAL ESTATE | HOME & GARDEN | WELLNESS | SOCIAL SCENE | GETAWAYS | PARENTS & KIDS Top of the News Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * Name (required) Mail (required) (not be published) Website Herbeauty8 Celebrities Who’ve Lost Their FandomsHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty9 Of The Best Family Friendly Dog BreedsHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty8 Easy Exotic Meals Anyone Can MakeHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyCostume That Makes Actresses Beneath Practically UnrecognizableHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyRed Meat Is Dangerous And Here Is The ProofHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyHe Is Totally In Love With You If He Does These 7 ThingsHerbeautyHerbeauty 19 recommended0 commentsShareShareTweetSharePin it STAFF REPORT Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy STAFF REPORT First Heatwave Expected Next Week CITY NEWS SERVICE/STAFF REPORT Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday More Cool Stuff Community News faithfernandez More » ShareTweetShare on Google+Pin on PinterestSend with WhatsApp,Virtual Schools PasadenaHomes Solve Community/Gov/Pub SafetyPasadena Public WorksPasadena Water and PowerPASADENA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES CALENDARClick here for Movie Showtimes Community News Make a comment Public Safety Disaster Preparedness Urged in Pasadena Ahead of Statewide Earthquake Drill By BRIAN DAY Published on Tuesday, September 29, 2020 | 2:22 pm
David Acheson, MD, associate commissioner for foods at the FDA, said clusters of illnesses in the outbreak all suggested Mexican jalapenos as the source, but not all were sold through Agricola Zarigoza, according to a Jul 26 report from the Associated Press (AP). The latest advisory is based on evidence from the trace-back investigation, the FDA said in a Jul 25 press release. A comparison of harvest dates with the dates when people became ill pointed to Mexico as the source of a contaminated jalapeno pepper matching the outbreak strain that was found at a McAllen, Tex., produce distributor. The FDA also said investigators have ruled out the distributor, Agricola Zarigoza, as the original source of the contamination. Jul 25 CDC update The FDA is advising high-risk populations to avoid eating raw jalapeno and Serrano peppers from Mexico and foods that contain them. The group includes infants, people with impaired immune systems, and elderly people. Jul 25 FDA press release Since April, Salmonella enterica serotype Saintpaul, an unusual strain, has sickened hundreds of people in 43 states, the District of Columbia, and Canada. Investigators initially suspected tomatoes. As weeks passed, case-control studies and the emergence of large case clusters pointed more toward hot peppers, though officials have not exonerated tomatoes as a possible source of some of the earlier illnesses. See also: Jul 28, 2008 (CIDRAP News) The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently said jalapeno peppers grown in the United States are safe to eat, in view of findings that suggest the contaminated peppers responsible for many illnesses in the nationwide Salmonella outbreak came only from Mexican sources. Though the CDC said the outbreak was ongoing, it pointed out that the average number of new illnesses reported each day had slowed from 33 per day in late May and early June to just 31 who became ill on or after Jul 1. The number of people infected with the outbreak strain has risen to 1,294, according to a Jul 25 update from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC reported that the latest illness onset date was Jul 11. A least 242 people were hospitalized. Two deaths were possibly linked to the outbreak; both were older men from Texas who had chronic illnesses.
Early Sunday morning, the Xi’an Center for Disease Control (CDC) conducted a nucleic acid and serological tests on him. The nucleic acid test was inconclusive, while the serological test came out negative.A second nucleic acid test done the next day came out positive. Zhang also went through an examination of clinical symptoms, blood tests, imaging tests and expert consultation before being diagnosed as a confirmed case.He was immediately transferred to the Xi’an Eighth Hospital for isolation and treatment.Authorities have isolated Zhang’s close contacts in China for medical observation. The Shaanxi Health Department said there were 80 new close contacts in the province, of which 79 were linked to Zhang.A patient (L) infected by the COVID-19 coronavirus receives acupuncture treatment at Red Cross Hospital in Wuhan in China’s central Hubei province on March 11, 2020. (AFP/STR )The Health Ministry’s disease control and prevention director general, Achmad Yurianto, said he had not received any information on the matter but would trace Zhang’s close contacts in Indonesia.“Tracing is a certain thing, but it will be difficult. Where do we want to start if we don’t know which city he went to?” Yurianto told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday, adding that the Indonesian Embassy in China would take the initial steps.Indonesian Ambassador to China Djauhari Oratmangun said he would contact the Chinese government and ask details on Zhang before passing them to Jakarta for further investigation.“Indeed, the number of cases from internal transmissions in China has now declined. They are mostly flown in from outside [of China]. Out of 13 confirmed cases [on Wednesday], 12 were imported,” he told the Post.Read also: COVID-19: Indonesia suspends visa-free policy, expands ban for people from worst-hit countriesAs of Tuesday, China has reported 80,894 COVID-19 cases, of which 69,614 have recovered and 3,237 died. At least 155 imported cases were recorded in China, Djauhari said. Meanwhile, Shaanxi has reported a total of 246 confirmed cases, with 233 discharged cases and three deaths.After the first imported case with Zhang, the Shaanxi administration followed the strict measures applied by most regions in China by ordering a 14-day quarantine for people entering the province starting Tuesday to strengthen its prevention and control measures.Under the order, Chinese or foreign nationals entering Shaanxi directly or transferred from other cities in the country must immediately report their basic information and health status to quarantine personnel and community workers.“[They must] actively cooperate with relevant units to carry out prevention and control measures, such as nucleic acid testing and centralized isolation for 14 days. Related costs would be borne by each individual,” the administration said as reported by People’s Daily Xi’an.A medical staff member gestures inside an isolation ward at Red Cross Hospital in Wuhan in China’s central Hubei province on March 10, 2020. (AFP/STR)It also required officials in government agencies and institutions at all levels in the province to make a report as soon as they learn that relatives and friends are about to return to Shaanxi from abroad.“Those who conceal contact or residence history, misrepresented their illness or refused to implement prevention and control measures that can spread or cause the risk of spreading the new coronavirus will be investigated for [negligence],” it added.Topics : The report said Zhang took Dragon Air flight KA896 from Indonesia to Shanghai via Hong Kong on March 13 and stayed at the Vienna International Hotel in Shanghai that night.The next day, Zhang traveled by car to Shanghai Pudong International Airport at 2 p.m. local time, departed on China Eastern flight MU2162 at around 5 p.m. and arrived at the Xi’an Xianyang International Airport in Shaanxi at 7:45 p.m.Upon arriving in Xi’an, Zhang informed airport staff of his physical discomfort. As he showed a high temperature, he was sent to the Xi’an Central Hospital at midnight.Read also: COVID-19: Indonesia records highest death toll in Southeast Asia at 19 China has announced an imported COVID-19 case from Indonesia, a 35-year-old Chinese national identified as Zhang, who had developed symptoms in the archipelago last week before being diagnosed upon his return to Shaanxi province.The Shaanxi Health Commission announced on its website on Tuesday that Zhang was the province’s first imported case. He reportedly developed a cough and fever on March 10 during his stay in Indonesia.However, which city in Indonesia he visited and how he became infected remain unclear.