January 25, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Mystery death of journalist found dead in hotel Guatemala: 51 Signatories Call For Authorities To Drop Criminal Charges Against Indigenous Journalist Anastasia Mejía GuatemalaAmericas Receive email alerts RSF_en News to go further Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Guatemala Organisation Reporters Without Borders today voiced shock and dismay at the death of prominent journalist Hugo Arce, 56, who was found dead in a Guatemala City hotel room with a bullet through his heart. He worked for the monthly magazine ¿Y Qué?,Police said after preliminary investigations that suicide was the most likely cause of death, but his family said they did not rule out murder.The worldwide press freedom organisation expressed its condolences to the family and urged the local authorities to carry out an impartial investigation.Hugo Arce arrived at the Hotel Conquistador at 5am on 23 January and asked for a room. Four hours later his wife arrived bringing some medication but got no reply from her husband and asked hotel staff to force the door. The journalist’s body was lying on the bed, with a blood-stained towel around his chest and his own revolver in his right hand.He was an award-winning writer and a former contributor to El Gráfico, Siglo Veintiuno and El Imparcial. Since the candidature of current president Álvaro Colom to the presidency in 2003, he had written articles highly critical of his person. First lady, Sandra Torres Colom, started a lawsuit against him in December for “insults and defamation”. The case had been due to open in a few days time.“We are saddened at the death of Hugo Arce, one of the leading figures in the Guatemala press, whose biting and always controversial articles will not be forgotten. Even though suicide seems likely we ask the police not to immediately rule out any lead, including any link with his work,” the organisation said. August 21, 2020 Find out more Guatemala. Don’t put the Guatemalan press in quarantine! News News Red alert for green journalism – 10 environmental reporters killed in five years January 7, 2021 Find out more News GuatemalaAmericas May 8, 2020 Find out more
Fresh from representing France at the World Cup, the midfielder made no secret of his desire to leave St Mary’s but the club dug their heels in and managed to retain his services amidst interest from the likes of Tottenham. Some supporters have said keeping hold of Schneiderlin is the best bit of business Saints did this summer – the kind of support he is determined to repay. “It was just fantastic,” he said. “It’s like I said before, for me, I never wanted to disrespect anyone and it’s just sometimes in life that you need to make choices. “I think everyone – I think you, I think the fans, I think everyone – was a bit worried when we lost so many players at the start and, of course, you ask yourself the question. “For me, I had a big step in the World Cup, so I didn’t want to struggle in this year. “But the club showed by buying players that they still have ambitions and that’s just what I was asking for. “The fans, they’re very good with me for six years, for seven years now and I’m very happy and I just want to give them back something.” Schneiderlin says the situation is now resolved and he is relishing the chance to keep improving under Ronald Koeman. This has been a tumultuous few months for all those connected with Saints, with a best-ever Barclays Premier League campaign swiftly followed by the exit of manager Mauricio Pochettino and a host of key players. Those exits, as well as the January departure of divisive executive chairman Nicola Cortese, led to widespread talk of a meltdown at St Mary’s, which Schneiderlin got caught up in during what he called an “unbelievable summer” collectively and individually. The 24-year-old has started the season fantastically, following up a brace in the win at West Ham with a fine curling effort at the end of Saturday’s 4-0 defeat of Newcastle – against whom six of Saints’ eight summer signings started. “They have a very good scouting department and they took some very good players and players who will integrate into the philosophy of the club,” Schneiderlin said. “Nice people who want to work hard and everything, and that’s all well done to them. “Losing players like Luke Shaw, like Rickie Lambert, like Adam Lallana, like Dejan Lovren, it’s something that’s very hard to replace and after four games we are happy. “But we need to make a judgement at the end of the season, or in six months. We have to stay with our feet on the ground, keep working and then doing our best, but it’s at the end of the year that everyone’s going to judge us.” For Saturday’s opponents Newcastle, however, many have already made their judgement. The fans called for manager Alan Pardew to leave throughout the match at St Mary’s after a tepid and, at times, embarrassing display. Schneiderlin played under Pardew during his time at Saints but it is his friends in the Newcastle team he feels particular sympathy for. “Remy Cabella, Moussa Sissoko, everyone, they’re good friends of mine and, of course, it’s difficult for them,” he said, holding Cabella’s shirt. “They are very good players and, the mix, it takes time for all of them. “It takes longer for some than others, but they are good players, I’m sure they will bounce back and they will have a good season. “I’m not really worried, because I know their quality, and they are hard workers as well and they’re going to bounce back.” Press Association Morgan Schneiderlin says he has been impressed by the ambition shown by Southampton to replace some of their departing stars after appearing set for the exit himself in the summer.