By Nelza Oliveira / Diálogo April 24, 2020 In 2020, the Brazilian Navy (MB, in Portuguese) celebrates the 40th anniversary of the integration of women in its institution. In 1980, Brazil created the Women’s Auxiliary Navy Reserve (CAFRM, in Portuguese) to enable women to work in technical, administrative, and health areas. A lot has changed since then.Although they represent just over 11 percent of the 76,442 service members in the force, women are increasingly assuming relevant roles and conquering spaces that, until recently, were unthinkable for a female service member. In 2021, women will be able to join the Marine Corps’ (CFN, in Portuguese) combat force for the first time.“Military career access and development in MB occur according to the principles of equality, merit, and capability, with salaries that vary based on positions,rankings, and specific qualifications, regardless of gender,” the Public Affairs Office of the CFN General Command told Diálogo. “To that end, men and women compete equally in the selection process or daily activities, exercising their rights and fulfilling their duties, within their respective corps and troops.”MB was the first of Brazil’s three forces to promote a woman to the rank of general officer: It was Rear Admiral Dalva Maria Carvalho Mendes in 2012, a physician in the MB Medical Corps. In 2018, Rear Admiral Luciana Mascarenhas da Costa Marroni, from the Corps of Engineers, was the second woman to be promoted to that rank.“Across the globe there have always been female warriors ahead of their time, but now I see that we are recognized for our ability to do anything and work in any area. I always say that there is no point in talking about men versus women, because regardless of gender, the ability and capability to operate in certain professional areas is individual,” Rear Adm. Dalva, advisor to the MB commander, told Diálogo.
BRISTOL, England, (CMC) – Captain Jason Holder has underscored the importance of the ICC World Cup to the Caribbean, and hopes his West Indies side can make the region proud when the tournament bowls off here Thursday.West Indies boast a fabled history in the tournament, winning the first two World Cups in 1975 and 1979 – both staged in England – and reaching the final of the 1983 edition before dramatically losing to India.Though there has been little success since then, fans’ expectations have been raised especially following the side’s 2-2 draw with world number ones England in the five-match one-day series earlier this year, and Holder said they would be aiming to put some smiles on the faces of supporters again.0“We’ve spoken a lot about restoring pride to West Indian cricket,” said Holder, the world’s leading all-rounder in Tests.“We know the significance of our success to an entire region. When the West Indies are doing well, an entire region is happy. What other sport can say that? The success of those teams of the past is held close in the hearts of all our people, they adore their cricket.”Legendary captain Clive Lloyd was the architect of the region’s previous World Cup titles, and his hundred in the ’75 final against Australia at Lord’s help set the two teams apart.The final four years later belonged to Lloyd’s heir apparent, Sir Vivian Richards, who unveiled a magical unbeaten 138 against England, again at Lord’s, to power West Indies.While those memories remain fresh in the minds of Caribbean people, Holder said his side were looking to create their own history in coming weeks.“I understand their achievements but I don’t want to dwell on it. I want to create my own legacy and we are in control of how people remember this team in 30 or 40 years,” Holder pointed out.“As a collective we can highlight the significance of history but it comes down to you as an individual. No one can change the past and we wouldn’t want to but let’s focus on the future and what we can control.”West Indies will not be among the favourites when they face Pakistan in their opening match in Nottingham on Friday. They have not won a series in five years and were forced to play in an ICC qualifying tournament to reach the World Cup, after finding themselves ranked ninth in September 2017.However, their daring brand of cricket in the recent series against England has offered plenty hope, and Holder believes opponents can write off West Indies at their peril.“We know we are underdogs and it’s not a problem for us, we’ll be doing everything in our power to win this competition,” he stressed.“Just look at Tiger Woods [winning the Masters earlier this year], it proves anything can happen in sport and sometimes. When the pressure is off or attention is elsewhere, amazing things happen.”West Indies take on New Zealand today in their final official warm-up match before the tournament bowls off. Their first warm-up on Sunday against South Africa was rained off after only 76 balls.
“Clearly they were better than us in every department – in the way they played, in midfield.” the French boss said during his post-match press conference.“What upset me most is that we did not put enough intensity in the game and at that level of competition, it’s not possible.“They’re good at creating chances, that’s not what worries me. What worries me is that lack of intensity,” Zidane added after Real suffered their first defeat of the season.With their midfield players totally suffocated by the PSG duo of Idrissa Gueye and Marco Verratti, Real struggled to bring the ball forward.“Failing to create proper chances with the players with have up front – Gareth Bale, Karim Benzema and Eden Hazard – is a weird feeling,”said Zidane.“You can play badly but if you have the intensity, if you fight for the ball, you’re in the game,” he added.PSG indeed showed more enthusiasm and Angel Di Maria opened the scoring in aggressive fashion, bursting into the area to connect at the near post with Juan Bernat’s cross.Gueye then burst through midfield to set up Di Maria for the second.Keeper Thibaut Courtois was not at his best but Zidane brushed aside any criticism of the Belgian.“It’s everybody’s fault. We win together, lose together,” he said.Also speaking on the game, PSG Manager, Thomas Tuchel claimed the absence of Paris Saint-Germain’s deadly front three may have helped his side beat Real Madrid.PSG won without Neymar, who is suspended, and injured duo Kylian Mbappe and Edinson Cavani.Tuchel’s side impressed from the off without their three main stars, with Angel di Maria scoring twice in the first half before Thomas Meunier finished off a brilliant team move during injury-time.And speaking after the final whistle, Tuchel claimed not having his stars may have lowered the expectations enough to relax his side against the Spanish giants.“Maybe the absence of Cavani, Neymar and Mbappe helped the team,” the PSG manager said at his post-match press conference.“Maybe the pressure was less, because everybody was wondering how we could win without those three players.“It can help because we weren’t favourites without Neymar, Mbappe and Cavani. It could have taken some of the pressure off the players.”It was the perfect start to the Ligue 1 giants’ campaign as they go in search for their much-desired first Champions League title.Next up for PSG in the European competition is Turkish side Galatasaray away from home on October 1.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Tuchel attributes PSG win to absence of Neymar, Mbappe, CavaniZinedine Zidane fumed at Real Madrid’s lack of intensity after the 13-times European champions started their Champions League campaign with a chastening 3-0 defeat to Paris Saint Germain on Wednesday night.Real, record 13-times European champions, were overwhelmed, especially in midfield, and failed to muster a single shot on target at the Parc des Princes.