Rafael Nadal When Rafael Nadal claimed during an Instagram chat with Andy Murray that he had only begun preparing that day for the upcoming virtual Madrid Open, both men broke into laughter.“Feliciano Lopez told me you have been practising for three or four hours a day,” teased Murray.Given their competitive spirit, it is easy to imagine both have spent more than a few lockdown hours glued to a PlayStation since last Monday’s chat. With tennis suspended until at least mid-July because of the coronavirus pandemic, Nadal and Murray are among 32 of the world’s leading ATP and WTA players replacing the buzz of competitive action with an online fix.This week they are swapping their racquets for PlayStation 4 controllers, to play on the Tennis World Tour video game for the Madrid Open Virtual Pro titles.There will be 16 men, 16 women, two knockout singles tournaments – all played in a digital representation of the Spanish capital’s Manolo Santana Stadium.It is the first time a virtual tennis tournament has been contested solely by professional tour players. The event will be streamed on the Madrid Open’s Facebook page and the platform’s new gaming app.“This idea is based on two things: firstly, to give something to the fans while they are at home and let them watch their favourite players. And secondly, to help players who are struggling right now,” Lopez, the ATP tour veteran who became the Madrid Open tournament director last year, told BBC Sport.Both tournaments have separate prize pots of 150,000 euros (£131,210). Each champion will decide how to distribute the money into the relief funds set up to support lower-ranked players whose incomes have dried up during the pandemic.“Players individually can give their support and then there are initiatives like ours, where we are asking the players to give all the prize money to the fund,” added Lopez.“There will be a lot of money in the funds to help the players struggling right now.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
The new koi pond was a welcome inclusion in the gardens because the hospital’s old koi pond had to be taken out years ago to accommodate the new project. “I think everyone’s going to be thrilled that there isn’t a lot of noise anymore,” said hospital spokesman Dan Boyle, “because there was a lot of construction noise for a long time.” [email protected] (818) 546-3304160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.In the old building, where doctors and nurses had cared for patients for decades, staff members wrote blessings and messages of thanksgiving on the walls before the building was sealed for demolition. The Healing Gardens – an open space area with three small gardens – was the last piece of the project. Separated by overhead bridges, the meditative area has a koi pond, a dozen crape myrtle trees and a maze-like pathway. The path is a spiritual tool for meditation, with deep roots in Catholicism, said Sister Colleen Settles, regional director of mission leadership for Providence hospitals in the area. “Some people have a spirituality that is more quiet and our chapel is wonderful for that,” Settles said. “Others connect with their spirituality when they’re in a movement mode.” During Wednesday’s ceremony, a classical music trio played in the shade of the crape myrtles, and officials unveiled a bronze statue of a nun holding out a loaf of bread. BURBANK – Marking the end of an 11-year, $151 million project to make it earthquake-safe, Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center opened three healing gardens Wednesday where employees and patients can get away from it all. Looming above the garden is the Northeast Tower, a two-year-old, seven-story building with 154 beds. It replaces the hospital’s main building, which was old and outdated. The 1994 Northridge Earthquake set the stage for the project, since the damage it caused made the hospital eligible for $88.7 million from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Planning for the project began in 1996, and within a few years workers had demolished two small buildings to make room for the new tower. Most of the work was finished in 2005, and over a couple of days, hospital staffers rushed to transfer everything from the hospital’s old main building to the new one.